For authors, love gives us a vehicle we can use to drive our readers to new emotional heights. We get to (if we’re successful) bring the readers on our character’s strong emotional journey. In a short story or flash fiction or poem, this is necessarily a short, focused thing, perhaps as short as a single scene.
Contemporary does not mean conventional. There are no formulas for how you express your journey.
We’re looking for all emotions that tie into love:
- Fear for one you love
- Fear of losing love
- Joy on love fulfilled
- Excitement on finding love
- Heartbreak from love ending
- Loneliness being away from one you love
- Jealousy of a loved one
Sign up to participate in this year’s short story anthology!
Title: to be determined – maybe something like: The Many Splendored Thing
Description: An exploration of love: the emotions in human relationships in short stories and poems
- It contains characters that behave the way most readers would. The characters must be believable.
- The story is set in the present.
- The setting is a real place or at least seems like a real place.
- The events are events that could happen in real life.
- Dialogue is informal and conversational and often includes regional dialects.
Sub-genre flavor: Up to you (e.g., mystery, humor, etc.), but it is just a flavor, not a true sub-genre (i.e. not historical romance, sci-fi romance, etc.)
Rating: PG-13 (like all Journey anthologies)
Story lengths: 700 words flash fiction, 5000 words short story
Poetry?: Contemporary poems are encouraged.
Romance: while many stories will focus on romantic love, the anthology will be open to other kinds (e.g., the normal love a parent has for his/her child). We are looking for evoking the strong emotional response in the reader.
Sex/Eroticism: Hey, this is a PG-13 anthology. Nothing explicit is allowed or encouraged.
What is love? You can have love between
- Two teenagers who suddenly notice each other
- An older married couple
- Adults trying to make love work in their busy lives
- A parent and their children
- Two dear friends
- Crazy choices
- Fevered imagination
||Google+ hangout kick-off meeting
||1-2 pm CST
||First drafts due 3 February
||Critiques due 17 February
||Second drafts due 10 March
||Critiques due 24 March
||Third drafts due 14 April
||Critiques due 5 May
||Final drafts due 26 May